The Family, Generations and Society Domain (FGS) of the Federal Social Insurance Office (FSIO) deals with child and youth affairs (CYA). Its main activities are:
- Rights of the child: the FGS handles issues relating to the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child and promotes its implementation in Switzerland.
- Child protection: the FGS coordinates and provides information on child protection efforts.
- Youth protection: the FGS implements two nationwide programmes: the "Youth and Violence" prevention programme and the "Media literacy and the protection of minors from harmful media content" programme.
- Youth development: the FGS, in accordance with the federal law on the promotion of extracurricular youth work, offers financial help to organisations who are active in this area. It also helps fund both selected projects and youth leader training.
- Coordination and information provision: the FGS is the point of contact for delegates to the conference of cantonal child and youth development leaders. It also supplies the federal government and international bodies with information on CYA topics.
- Federal Youth Session: the FGS authorises and oversees the organisation of this annual event.
- International: the FGS is Switzerland's international representative on youth policy matters.
Head of Child and Youth Affairs: Muriel Langenberger