Questions and answers about Family allowances

The answers to the FAQs are basic and refer to the most frequent cases. They provide a rough overview. However, specific individual cases should always be assessed by the responsible family allowances compensation fund.

Family allowances: types and rates (general)

Eligible beneficiaries

Education allowance

Concurring claims (who receives the family allowances?)/Payment of the difference

Payment to a third party (primary caregiver)

Payment of family allowances for children living abroad

Administrative process/Procedure

Filing an application

Payment of family allowances

Deadline for claiming family allowances


Duty to declare any changes in circumstances/recovery of overpayments



Social security contributions

Relations with other social insurance benefits

Individuals employed in the agricultural sector (self-employed farmers and farm employees)

Applicable law

I haven’t found an answer to my question. What should I do now?

If your question is not on the list, we recommend that you check the following pages “Benefits”, “Family Allowances: Types and Rates”, “Children who live abroad” and “Organisation and Funding”, as well as the assorted leaflets on family allowances. If you are still unable to find an answer to your question, you should contact the competent Family Allowances Compensation Fund directly (see Question 21). The cantonal OASI Compensation Offices are also equipped to provide you with general information. If you remain unsatisfied with the answer you have received, you may submit your question directly to us using the following form. We will make every effort to reply promptly to your query. 

Last modification 14.10.2021

Top of page